Euler Hermes North America Insurance Company, a member of the Allianz Group, is the world’s leading provider in trade-related credit insurance solutions with branches and affiliates across Europe and throughout the world. Euler Hermes provides B2B financial products and services to help customers around the globe trade wisely and develop their businesses safely.
This privacy notice pertains to the following legal entity:
Euler Hermes North America Insurance Company
(“Euler Hermes,” “we,” “us,” or “our”)
At Euler Hermes we care about your personal information. This privacy notice explains the kinds of personal information we collect about you, how and why we collect and use it, how long it is kept and the purposes for which we disclose it. We also explain your rights to access, correct, or object to the processing of this personal information (including requesting deletion, subject to applicable laws and regulations).
Please read this notice carefully. And in case you have any questions, contact us at:
1. General Information
1.1 This section pertains to personal information that Euler Hermes collects about its customers, brokers, agents and third parties, as well as individuals who are just visiting our websites. This privacy notice forms part of and is incorporated by reference to the terms and conditions of use of the Euler Hermes website to which it is linked.
1.2 What privacy laws apply to Euler Hermes?
Euler Hermes is subject to Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, (“PIPEDA”) and all substantially similar privacy legislation. This means that Euler Hermes is required by law to follow certain statutory requirements when collecting, using, storing or disclosing personal information and to ensure that policies, processes and procedures are in place to safeguard this data and respect the rights of the individuals whose data is collected.
1.3 What kind of personal information does Euler Hermes collect about you?
Depending on what information you provide or preferences you select, Euler Hermes may collect the following categories of personal information about you:
- Data you provide us, e.g. when you sign up for our services, like your name, email address, telephone number, job title, company name.
- Information we obtain from third parties (e.g. information services providers) or publicly available sources (e.g. commercial registers), where our use of the personal information obtained through the publicly available source complies with the regulatory restrictions under PIPEDA.
1.4 On which legal basis does Euler Hermes use your personal information and for what purposes?
We use your data on the basis of your express or implied consent. The form of consent will vary, depending on the sensitivity of the personal information collected from you.
We collect, use, store and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide, maintain, improve, and develop our services and tailor them to your needs and interests (e.g. to offer you customized advertising);
- to communicate with you;
- to inform and advise you on products of Euler Hermes (e.g. by sending you advertisements);
- to prepare and/or perform a contract with you;
- to prepare offers for one of our products, deliver our services to you and fulfil our mutual contractual obligations;
- to set up and maintain your user accounts, for technical support or for other related purposes;
- to enhance the security of Euler Hermes’ IT systems for the benefit of all our users; and
- to comply with our legal obligations.
You may withdraw your consent at any time on reasonable notice to us. However, your right to withdraw consent is subject to legal and contractual restrictions. You may not withdraw your consent if the consent is necessary for us to perform our contracted services with you or if it is necessary for us to perform other legal obligations that we have in respect of our business with you.
In some instances, PIPEDA and applicable provincial privacy legislation do not require us to obtain your consent. For example, your personal information may be collected, used or disclosed without consent where required or permitted by applicable laws, court orders, government regulations, or government authorities, where it is necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding a breach of the laws of Canada, illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, or other reasons as set out in PIPEDA and applicable provincial privacy laws.
We shall seek your express, opt-in consent for any electronic marketing messages that we would like to send to you, unless we are entitled under applicable law to rely on implied consent to send these messages to you. All marketing messages will include an unsubscribe mechanism.
If we use your personal information for any other purposes than described in this policy, we will inform you about such other purpose and will obtain your consent where required.
1.5 Where will your personal information be processed?
Personal information collected by Euler Hermes may be processed both inside and outside of Canada, subject always to contractual restrictions regarding confidentiality and security in line with PIPEDA and applicable provincial privacy laws and regulations. We will not disclose your personal information to parties who are not authorised to process it.
Please note that other countries all have different laws regarding the collection, use, retention and disclosure of personal information. When your personal information is transferred from Canada to another country, the laws and rules that protect your personal information in the country to which your information is transferred may be different to (or less protective than) those in Canada. For example, the circumstances in which law enforcement can access personal information may vary from country to country.
Whenever we transfer your personal information for processing outside of Canada, we will implement contractual means to ensure that: the use of the information does not change, the recipient uses the information only to provide services to Euler Hermes, and the recipient maintains the confidentiality of the personal information.
We maintain policies and practices regarding the use of service providers in countries outside Canada in which the collection, use, disclosure or storage of personal information on behalf of Euler Hermes is occurring or may occur; and the purposes for which our service providers outside of Canada have been or may be authorized to collect, use or disclose personal information for or on behalf of Euler Hermes. If you would like to learn more about Euler Hermes’ policies and practices with respect to its use of service providers outside Canada, or if you have questions about our use of service providers outside of Canada for the collection, use, disclosure or storage of personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer at: EHNALegal@eulerhermes.com
1.6 How long do we keep your personal information?
We will not retain your personal information longer than necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected or to fulfil legal obligations, or as permitted by law. Afterwards, we will delete your personal information. The individual retention periods depend on the type of personal information and the purpose of its processing.
1.7.1 What are your rights in respect of your personal information?
To the extent permitted by PIPEDA and applicable provincial privacy laws and regulations, you have the right to:
- be informed about the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information by Euler Hermes;
- access personal information held about you by Euler Hermes, including information such as, for example, the source and the categories of the data, the purposes of the processing, the recipients (or categories thereof) and the respective retention periods;
- request the update or correction of your personal information so that it is accurate and complete;
- obtain a copy of your personal information; and
- file a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, or, for personal information that is collected strictly within a province, to the applicable provincial privacy commissioner.
You may exercise these rights by contacting us and providing your name and email address as well as the purpose of your request, using our Data Subject Access Request Form available at: EHNALegal@eulerhermes.com
1.7.2 Who may we share data with?
We may share data within the Euler Hermes Group, with fraud prevention agencies, and with any third parties engaged by us to perform obligations in connection with our activities, including credit reference agencies, legal advisers, debt recovery agents and tracing agents.
2.1 How does Euler Hermes collect your data?
On its websites, Euler Hermes collects only the personal information that you voluntarily provide in online forms or that you otherwise allow us to collect according to the cookie preferences you selected when you first accessed our page. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, and if you do so we will discontinue the processing of your personal information collected on this website. You can withdraw your consent: EHNALegal@eulerhermes.com
3. Third parties
When providing our customers with trade-related credit solutions, we may collect information about you and your company to assess and monitor our own risk and to collect debts. We collect information from third parties or publicly available information as permitted under PIPEDA and applicable provincial privacy legislation. Additionally, we might collect information that you directly disclose to us. We collect data regarding:
- Commercial entities: trade sector, name, names of the representatives (e.g. directors, board members), and information regarding your creditworthiness (e.g. payment and risk incidents)
- Sole traders or other closely held businesses: name, email address, address, trade sector, legal form, names of the representatives (e.g. directors), and information regarding your creditworthiness (e.g. payment and risk incidents)
4. How can you contact us?
If you have any queries about your personal information, you can contact us at: EHNALegal@eulerhermes.com
5. How often do we update this privacy notice?
We regularly review this privacy notice and make changes to it from time to time. We will ensure the most recent version is available here and we may additionally notify you directly (e.g. via email) in the event of significant changes. This privacy notice was last updated on 1st March, 2019.